RCU Forums - View Single Post - Redesign and reconstruction of the Oldest Taurus on Earth
Old 02-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Taurus Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Redesign and reconstruction of the Oldest Taurus on Earth

ORIGINAL: jjpetro

Cees,

''No there is no language barrier, only first read the thread before asking questions. ''

I have read the thread over the past year(s). I've kept up with it ever since your first post. Because of the time I spend in design work and many other activities I don't visit RCU much and post even less. I even decided to hold my reactions during your ''pot shot'' in post 607 (that's me, the exceptionally handsome guy on the right, Rusty and I are securing the wing to the NATS winning Taurus for display at a VRCS event). However, I thought your renderings were worth a positive comment. It appeared to me it was generated in 3D software, that's why I asked what software you used. But, perhaps you just Photoshopped it.

Of course, the renderings are the least of the work you have done here - which has been exceptional, as well.

BTW - I'm not a ''kit cutter''.
Regards

Jeff,
Let me split my feedback, first the learning curve:

I am the "friend" Duane referred to who is kitting the King Altair and the Taurus. I am currently working on the Orion, Ed's answer to the Astro Hog. I told Duane a few days ago that I gladly offer up my services in creating a solution to the Simla mystery. Let me know if you need any input from the laser cutting, milling, or manufacturing engineering side of this "project".

How to call your actions: kit cutter?

Let me show some other facts I know:

[i]Hi John,

I'd sure hate to see a grown man cry! So I'll tell you right off that your search has ended, you found me and the Taurus! I don't have any at the moment but I'm getting ready to produce another run of the Taurus short kit! Your search has come to an end and a fitting one!

I used to own Custom Cutters, I did custom kit cutting and I produced a line of Giant Scale kits. After about 12 years of manufacturing I pretty much burned out, I also work a full time job, and a full time part time job became too much so I closed up the shop. The Taurus was the last of my line but was never produced. After a year or so I decided that I should at least try to get some of my time out of the redesign and started making short kits. Not many, 20-30 a year, pretty much just when I feel like it or when enough diligent searchers like yourself find me! I like to produce in quantities of 10, easy to order the laser cut parts that way, and I've been waiting for around 2-3 more people to show interest. Well your 2 fills the bill and I guess I'll have to get to ordering material and parts!

About the kit. This short kit is a redraw of original plans, 71" span, .45-.60 engine, I updated
the design to more modern methods and did away with some of the more
troublesome building features. The wing is now a bolt on instead of rubber
bands, the leading edge is built up and shaped instead of the curved
sheeting of the original. Parts count was reduced and 1/32 ply was used as a
doubler in the fuse both in the front and in the rear at the tail where
there was a weak spot in the design. A more modern firewall was incorporated
so that modern engine mounts could be used instead of the original hardwood
beams.

The short kit includes a full set of plans with templates, laser cut ribs,
formers, and tailfeathers. A preshaped balsa topdeck, formed main gear, and
a canopy pulled from an original rounds out the kit.

Price is $75 each US plus shipping.

I agree with you that the Taurus is the best flying airplane that I have ever owned, nothing compares. I've since left the hobby and don't fly anymore but still get the itch once and a while. Being that I don't model anymore I don't hit the R/C sites on the internet much, if you would do me a favor and put a post on RC Airport that you have found the Taurus and me, just in case there are any other searchers out there looking. Feel free to stick my email address in.

I will add your name to the list and I will let you know when the kits are ready to ship. No payment until the kits are ready that way there won't be any hard feelings if I get hit by a truck and don't finish them!>

Thanks for finding me John,

Regards,
Lance

" As luck would have it Lance wished to sell his small business and I bought it from him."

Cees