RCU Forums - View Single Post - Grumman Gulfhawk II/ F3F-3 Landing gear
Old 02-25-2011, 04:59 PM
larrymc1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Grumman Gulfhawk II/ F3F-3 Landing gear

Avaiojet,
The operation of the gear is much like the real thing. Grumman used chain, sprocketts and a crank, I am using gears and a servo to the same effect. You have to figure out how much rotation in degrees you need to move and find the right ratio to work. I use a 5 gear set up on both of my units because it works for me. The latest set that I am still working on needed to move 140deg but I could only use a 30 tooth gear because of placement near the side of the fuse 360/30=12deg of movement per tooth. to get to 140' I would have to drive it 11.6 teeth. The servo is a HS75BB and turns 180deg so I will have to install a 24T gear on the servo to drive the 30T gears the required amount. It works out to 12T x 12deg =144deg of movement. It sounds complicated but really isent. The other 2 gears are used as spacers as they are only transfering the movement and keep the legs in time with each other. The hard part is getting the correct leingth of the gear legs and what you are going to use for hinges. I will try to get some pictures this weekend to post.