RCU Forums - View Single Post - Leading edge flaps
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2002, 02:35 PM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leading edge flaps

Originally posted by sblack

For LE flaps, the hinge moments could be high, which means the servo loads could end up being high, even when at 0 deg. That idea about the over center arm is a good one. That flap will always be trying to deflect up, even past 0, especially at high AOA. Be aware of that, watch your Rx battery power consumption etc.
So, if you do this, you need a mechanical up-stop where the flap contacts fixed structure directly, so the servo is not straining for the whole flight. Also, using a jackscrew setup would be alot more secure and reduce the force seen by the actuator.

They are useful for landing approach, getting that nose up to create drag. You could also mix them with elevator and TE flaps for high g turns, not unlike the control line stunt models of old.
You could mix them in with elevator. But using them at high speed, you would probably end up ripping the wings off if you don't strip the gears and spiral in. Combining enhanced lifting power with speed is a recipe for structural failure.

I have an F-18 that I would like to do this with as well, but I would only deploy them at low speed - maybe linked with the gear switch.