View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 03:40 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: dummy R-2800 Pratt & Whitney

ORIGINAL: Limey

[img][/img]Hey Gary,
Absolutely fantastic, wow it look great all work you do is fantastic. i have ordered an engine for my Dauntless should be here tomorrow now I'm going to have to try and do what you have done it looks so good, great job Gary.
Limey.
Thank you for the nice compliment. It sure is nice to be appreciated by other skilled builders.

Are you getting one of Franks castings (I think this is the one Meister has)? If so, it is a good place to start. I used a thin cutting wheel in my Dremel to clean up in between some of the fins, but overall, it is good. The valve covers lack a lot of detail, but as you can see from the picture of it mounted, you don't see 80% of that anyway. As you know, the top and bottom halves of the cylinders were separate, hence the clamp, and Franks casting gives you the place for this. I considered making small claps from brass, but then opted to just paint them on, and spend time on other parts like the emblem (the part I am most proud of).

I wish I had taken more pictures of the aluminum wire housing under construction. I poured sand in the tube, bent it around a form, drilled holes around it for the spurs, cut one size smaller diameter pieces for them, glued each one in with thick CA, then painted it.