RCU Forums - View Single Post - Don Smith Cessna T-50
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Murphey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Don Smith Cessna T-50

Guys...I must confess...I've strayed. I bought a metal lathe and I've been playing with that...but I'm back on track now!

In reading the discussions about engines, I selected the G26's because I had to of them with equal time and both have always been very reliable. And in addition these engines were modified by Ralph Cunningham. They were originally the magneto version but he converted them to electronic ignition. The ignition module is in the rear of the engine so there is no separate ignition module to mount. And in the case of the T-50, there is very limited room. These engines swing a 18X6 prop about 8,500RPM...at a field elevation of 6,000ft.

I am using the stock Zenoah muffler rather than a pitts style because the engine has to mount flush to N-1 and the pitts muffler interferes with N1 and the stock mufflers don't. I played around with routing the exhaust in the scale position, but there's no room...So only 2 small holes in the bottom of the cowl for exhaust. And the spark plug protrudes thru as well so there's a small hole for that. It is possible to convert the spark plug to those very small ones with no protrusion...but I didn't do that either.

The G-23 I think will work just fine and will fit pretty much like the 26's. However they are probably a magneto version so if you go that rout, consider converting them to electronic ignition for more power.

I also have a scratch built, my own design, twin using 2 G20's and 16X8 props, 8,500 RPM.This plane is about 18 pounds and these engines fly it just fine... but definitely not over powered. The T-50 will weigh from 25 pounds on up, so (here we go with opinion...) I'm not sure the G20 is enough...at least at my altitude. I don't have a DLE 20 but I've heard they have a bit more power than the G20, but don't last as long...Fuji...I know nothing...
M