RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/2A Size Dumas Boat Club
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 09:45 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A Size Boat Club

ORIGINAL: Air Mover

Absolutely spot on with that.. these guys back then where considered model boat engineers as they had to make almost everything from scratch. Lots of idea's for the future and what they actually made from scratch help build the early model product lines. Today this market is still driven by mold breakers. I hope to blend the old with the new and so enjoy the Dumas vintage gear, boats along with the classic cox motors and the custom products for those engines. My efforts are to strive for better speeds, performance and reliability. I had the short stuff mono on a 049 back in the day. I now have plans, some from dumas and other vintage hydro's so looking forward to posting more efforts here.

Ok looks like I have learned the vintage hydros where Jim Walker designs perhaps Dumas kept the work going after A-J co. was sold. Im searching for Dumas history of boats so anyone land some sites please post your links.
This is what I had found.
Recently the A. J. line was broadened to include boat kits. The first model to capture the fancy of the modelers was the ''Miss Thriftway,'' a replica of the unlimited hydroplane that has captured the Gold Cup for the past three years.
The 18-inch model is designed for display or use with 1/2-A or small-A class motors. Miss Thriftway sells for $2.95 for boat only and $10.95 for boat and Firecracker engine and $11.50 for the boat and Cub marine engine and hardware. A marine hardware kit has also been introduced at 98 cents and includes prop, universal, strut, shaft, stuffing box, rudder and rudder brackets for small engines.
I was re-reading and come to think of it, I am not sure I've ever heard of a Firecracker engine??