RCU Forums - View Single Post - Introducing the new 50cc Ultimate 20-300
Old 03-06-2011, 04:51 PM
reyn3545

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Introducing the new 50cc Ultimate 20-300

I did notice one thing when I was CG-ing my plane after recent repairs. Maybe it's a biplane thing, I don't know, but it's the first time I've run into it.....

the AW manual calls for the CG to be 1 1/2 inches behind the LE of the upper wing. I measured, marked the location on each wingtip, checked the CG (all good) and took off.....

My first 4 or 5 flights on this plane were so out of control that I was always chasing control problems. Eventually, I made a few hardware changes, lots of trim changes, and thought it was better. I lost the radio on the next flight, and it crashed.

After the repairs, I came to the CG part at the end of the process. Using the marks on my wingtips, it was showing to be just a little tail heavy (my preference). When I extended a string between those two points, marked the bottom of the wing, and checked the CG from the center of the wing... it was WAY tail heavy. I think that was the root of the problems I was chasing all along. I had to move both batteries up to my motor box to get everything evened out.

Did anyone else notice a difference between holding the wingtips and supporting the center of the wing? I wouldn't think it would make any difference, but maybe the cabane design has some effect?