RCU Forums - View Single Post - b-day budget...what would you recommend?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:03 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: b-day budget...what would you recommend?

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

well i have been here a lot, but i just found out my mom is giving me $100 for my birthday!!! i was thinking of getting the playmate, but now im thinking about the champ or micro j-3 cub. which would you guys recommend? i like how both of them look...their both very nice looking (identical actually) and seem sturdy. im just wondering which could take crashes better since im a beginner.
honestly what is your "income" im guessing you are a young fellow, do you do chores? or get an allowence? the problem with planes is they crash and need parts every now and then, if you have alittle cash flow you can buy new parts and continue to fly, but if you only have 100 dollars and get nothing more what is going to happen when a prop breaks or you need a new servo or you crash and need a 30 dollar airframe?

if you dont have some cash flow i wouldnt spend the money, wait till you have a job or get an allowence. i tried to do the same thing you are thinking about and it didnt work out very well, i kept needing parts dispite the fact i never crashed my plane...would break a prop, or a engine would burn out or something. im just being honest, this hobby sucks up cash, even if you never crash it still sucks up cash (maybe only like 50-100 dollars every 6 months if you have a perfect track record but if you dont have that money you are in trouble)

that being said if you have a job/income of some form, i would start with something really small (vapor or something like that) and fly it indoors, i would recommend going to a club to learn how to fly, the problem is nitro planes are even more expensive