RCU Forums - View Single Post - Brushed Electric Motor Break-In Guide (Not Just For Heli's)
Old 03-06-2011, 05:56 PM
grosbeak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Brushed Electric Motor Break-In Guide (Not Just For Heli's)

ORIGINAL: mrasmm

ORIGINAL: JD and Beastlet

From my limited experience, BNF means you supply the transmitter only. ARF is a misnomer - I looked at a gas ARF trainer. Sure, it's almost ready to fly... once you buy the plane you just need an engine, transmitter, receiver, servos, batteries... IMHO, SRF(Somewhat) or NRF (not) would be more truthful!
ahh gotcha. So it comes with everything but the rx and tx? What an ARF really should be =P
Not quite - it comes with everything but the transmitter... 2.4 GHz DSM2 receiver is installed. I bought the Phoenix flight sim c/w Spektrum DX5E trx. The RTF version is 72 MHz.

ORIGINAL: JD and Beastlet

Guessing by your OP, anything over an hour is gravy... or am Imissing something?
yeah, sounds about right.

I do break-ins with my PSU. So what I do is run it on a constant voltage, variable amperage. I note what the amps are to start out with. Then I watch it. As the motor wears in, the amps needed goes down. When I am good with what kind of power it draws, then I called broken in =) That'd be harder to do with batteries, so yeah, an hour should be good.

Temps are another good way. Temps are basically a function of efficiency or in other words, amps. So when the brushes seat, the motor will become more efficient, and have less heat than when you started out.
I do have an infrared temperature sensor... perhaps that would help. And would it be possible to measure the draw with a multimeter while breaking it in?