Old 03-10-2011, 05:11 AM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TOM BRETT'S DESIGNS-UPDATE

ORIGINAL: kingaltair

ORIGINAL: bem

Hi,

As I understand it 1965 was last year Detroit Invitational was held. Anyone know the reason why there was no more?
Had it anything to do with that Tom Brett (and Ed Kazmirsky) got other interests after 1965 - Brett taking Commercial airplane license, buying a Cessna 172 and also started to build full scale a Pitts Special (and Ed was more involved in the company he worked in)?
In 1965 Detroit Invitational, had most folks switched over to proportional or was majority still using reeds?

/Bo
If I remember correctly, Tom became active in full-scale flying in 1966 as you say and a new president of RCCD was chosen. I can ask Helen how long the Detroit Invitationals continued...I think they continued past 1965. Ed was one of the pilots invited, so his being absent would have nothing to do with when the RCCD Invitatationals ended.

Duane
Here is some information from the RCCD web site under "history" discussing the Detroit Invitationals. It doesn't specically mention, however when the last Detroit Invitational was held:

The club field was on the old “Wings Airport” and it was there that all of the Detroit Invitational's were
held. The club members did all of the work on the field and developed a first class airstrip. We stayed on this field until 1971. ....The following is an excerpt from an article written by the clubs first
president, Ernie Kratzet, and featured in the September 1962 issue of
“Model Airplane News”.

“Sponsors call it the PGA of Radio Control Contesting, it could well be, when a rundown is made of those invited. A virtual who’s who of mult-channel, the best device to separate the men from the men, not the boys”.
On the week following Labor Day, traditionally the “Cream of the Crop” of RC flyers in the United States and Canada gather in Detroit for what has become to be known as ” The Experts Contest”. For the past three years it has been formally called “The Detroit Invitational” and prior to that “The Great Lakes Meet”. The entry list is determined by invitation from the RCCD. By limiting
the entry list to about 20 of the top flyers it was felt that a truly dream contest would result.”

This was the tenth anniversary of the event. The following list of previous winners indicates the wide geographical spread:
1953 - JIM PEPINO - LONDON, ONTARIO
1954 - L.D. CRISP - PERRYSVILLE, INDIANA
1955 - HAROLD DEBOLT - BUFFALO NEW YORK
1956 - JIM GALL - TOLEDO, OHIO
1957 - ED KAZMARSKI - CALUMET CITY, ILLINOIS
1958 - ED KAZMARSKI - CALUMET CITY, ILLINOIS
1959 - ED KECK - ROCHESTER, NEW YORK
1960 - BOB DUNHAM - LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA
1961 - ED KAZMARSKI - CALUMET CITY, ILLNOIS
An interesting fact was brought out in the article that concerned the judging. Not only was the flying of top notch caliber but the judging was first rate. This was due to club training and a system of judging that became to be known as “the Detroit system.” “The system” evolved from the first invitational, the first in the country, when the 25 invited participants flew using no set rules or patterns. Rules, patterns and judging were made up as the event progressed. Two judges were used and their scores were
given by hand signals to the announcer who would immediately announce the total for all to hear.

The invitational didn’t just happen. It evolved from some thirty contests over a ten year period, including two national contests. The trophy for the contest was a perpetual trophy and was the property of RCCD. The last winner kept it in his possession until the next contest