RCU Forums - View Single Post - My first day with the Blade MCPX - Review and Videos
Old 03-10-2011, 01:34 PM
wmccjeep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My first day with the Blade MCPX - Review and Videos

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

Today I picked up my Blade MCPX.

It is slightly larger than the Blade MSR but significantly smaller than the 120 SR

Set up and Binding was straighforward and it seems to be as robust as the Blade MSR

It comes with two sets of rotor blade.. The manual states one set is for high performance Indoor aerobatics and the other is for fast outdoor flight

The fast outdoor flight Blades have a forward facing prong about 1/3 out from the central hub.

I am still fine tuning the pitch curves to my personal preference but can highly recommend it as a next step if you have mastered the MSR or the 120 SR..

It is more stable and easier to fly than a 450 size helicopter.. which would be the next step after the MCPX

It was very windy today so I didn't fly it outside but I will try loops and rolls in the next day or so..

Here are 5 Videos of my first day..

Video 1 - Unboxing

Video 2 - Binding to the Radio and initial testing

Video 3 - The maiden flight

Video 4 - The 6th flight after more fine tuning

Video 5 - A demonstration of how easily this helicopter enters Vortex Ring State.

This last aspect of the MCPX was a surprise.. I have rarely experienced Vortex Ring State with my MSR or 120 SR, but the MCPX will enter it very easily..

In simple terms Vortex Ring state occurs when the helicopter enters the downwash of air produced by its own rotor blades.. Here is the Wiki explanation

Normally if you apply more power and collective pitch the helicopter would climb, but when descending in the Vortex Ring, adding power only INCREASES the rate of descent... due to the extra downwash being produced.

The Blade MCPX makes it very easy to demonstrate this phenomenon..
Hey Rob!

Seems like a great little heli and something that is added to my wish list! If you had to build it I would have it on order already! Ido love my Eflight Blade small helis. I hear the bigger Eflight stuff just ain't all that great but I wish Eflight made a gyro we could use in the 450 that was as good as what they use in the small ones.

Wes