RCU Forums - View Single Post - TOM BRETT'S DESIGNS-UPDATE
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 07:25 PM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TOM BRETT'S DESIGNS-UPDATE

The puzzle of Detroit area road names.

Michigan road names, (at least some of those in the Detroit area), are a little quirky, at least it seems that way to me. First, there are the "Mile Roads", (roughly a mile apart), radiating out, and starting for some reason at 5 Mile Rd, (I think it is the distance from some point in Detroit...I never actually knew where). These "Mile Roads" run east to west and the convention is the same within Detroit and into the suburbs surrounding Detroit.

Like I said earlier, 8 Mile Rd is the outer limits of Detroit, (there is also a road called "Outer Drive", meaning that at some time long ago, that road was "way out there". The "Mile Roads" keep increasing northward out of Detroit, and go all the way out to the upper 20s, or lower 30s...it's a little hard to tell because some of the roads have alternate names as you will see.

OK...so 9 Mile is still 9 MIle, 10 Mile is 10 Mile etc etc up to 15 Mile, which also has the name Maple Road. 16 Mile is also known as BIG BEAVER, (note the tie in to your earlier post), 17 Mile is Wattles Rd, 18 Mile is Long Lake Rd, (I think), and I don't know after that because 21 Mile is still 21 Mile, 22 Mile, 23 Mile 24 Mile, 25 Mile etc.

I used to live between 22 Mile and 23 Mile Roads and Van Dyke...just a few miles north and east of the field...kind of the far north suburbs of Detroit.

Are you totally bored with all this? Sorry, I know this doesn't have anything to do with Tom and Helen, (except they were both very familiar with all these weird naming conventions). It's just strange, and it dawned on me just now how weird it is, since when I lived in Michigan, I didn't think much of it...that's just the way it was.

Anyway, when you said "Big Beaver Airport", I knew that the airport was two miles south, and probably west of Wings Airport, located on 18 Mile Rd, (Long Lake Rd)..

So much for the geography lesson.

Duane