RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/6 Scale F4U Corsair Group Build
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 03:58 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1/6 Scale F4U Corsair Group Build

I'm still working on drawings. I plan to go back to Planes of Fame to see if I can test more templates against their plane. For those that had not heard, I currently have access to a wide format printer (24"). This has allowed me to print the drawings of the contours of the fuselage that I've been developing, in full size. I took 4 drawings, of stations 218, 232, 253 and 288, and compare them to the fuselage of the Corsair at Yanks Museum. (PoF Corsair was away for an airshow when I went). Three of the four templates fit very well, and the 4th template showed my drawing to be a little too flat through about a 15" section by about 1/8". I hope to check more bulkheads, but will need to do it against the PoF Corsair as the Yanks Corsair is a -4, and there are differences from the cockpit forward. I also want to test templates of the stab foils too. I also want to investigate the canopy rails a bit more. When the canopy is closed, the back of the canopy sits almost flush with the fuselage, but when open, there is a significant gap between the canopy and fuselage. I want to see if the rear rail wheels telescope (which I doubt) or if the depth of the rail track changes (which I suspect).
This will further refine the shape of the fuselage. Photos of the front rails show that they are parallel, but the fuselage is wider at the front of the rail than at the back. A small detail, but worth noting for scale fidelity.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	yw66821.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1580153   Click image for larger version

Name:	up47270.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1580154