RCU Forums - View Single Post - when did you get into rc cars?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 04:49 AM
BigTb17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: when did you get into rc cars?

I would say probably around '87 or '88 (5-6 years old). I've loved anything motorized, particularly that you have control over, ever since I can remember. If it was mechanical in any way I was probably going to take it apart too.

My early RCs (remote control in this case, not radio), were very toy grade. They were the cheap (both inexpensive and build quality cheapness) AA powered deals that had a small square remote with a wire that connected to the car, and subsequently directly to the motor inside. The remotes housed 2 AA batteries and had either two buttons or maybe a rocker switch which gave foward and reverse movement respectively. Some had a slotted axle housing on one side in the front so that they turned when going in reverse. All very crude and simple, but they were fun. Of course they all got taken apart eventually, and parts got swapped around and larger motors (taken from whatever else I had taken apart over the years) got crammed in, and modifications got made.

Eventually I got a small black Trans Am that was actually radio controlled. It actually had less control than the wired versions up to that point. The remote had a single button on it. The car would automatically run forwards when you turned it on, and the button would make it reverse, turning at the same time (slotted axle style). I still loved it.

After that came a few other vey crude models until I finally got my first radio control with full contro (forward/backward and left/right capability). It was a Tyco on-road car that ran on 4 AA batteries and I loved it. It really was nice, two speed transmission, handled well for what it was, and was much faster than anything I'd had before. Then I had a Hopper (Tyco), a couple Radio Shack cars that were merely OK, and then a Nikko truck that was probably my favorite toy grade vehicle I had owned. It wasn't fully proportional, but it did have two speeds on the controller. I ran on 6 AA batteries and lasted a long time on a set. The range was awesome and my cousin and I would set it outside on cold days and go back inside and drive it around the yard while looking out the windows.

Eventually I got my first Hobby grade vehicle, a Traxxas Rustler XL-1. They had just switched to using an electronic speed control. It was great. I upgraded some things as I went, but mostly I just drove it. Then I got a TC3, put in an LRP ESC and a 17 turn motor. Very fun parking lot basher.

Since then I've had a string of models. My next being a B3 Factory Team car, my first kit (I have greatly preferred kits ever since). Lighter, and faster than my Rustler, and the handling put it to shame. I bashed it hard and never had a problem. Still have it, though it is sans electronics at the moment, along with my TC3.

Beyond those I've had/have:

RC18B
HPI Micro RS4 (1/18)
RC8B
Mini-Desert truck
Micro-T
Tamiya CC-01
Tamiya CR-01
Robitronic Scalpel
Kyosho Evolva 1/8th on-road nitro
Mini Summit

That's all the hobby grade stuff I can remember at this point.