RCU Forums - View Single Post - TOM BRETT'S DESIGNS-UPDATE
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 04:15 AM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TOM BRETT'S DESIGNS-UPDATE

Continuing with Helen Brett's comments...this time about Wings Airport, home of the Radio Control Club of Detroit during the "glory years" of the Detroit Invitationals. Additional background information about the airport at 18 Mile and Mound Roads:

I don't know the story on Wings Airport. There were no structures other than the barn and only a North/South sod runway, so perhaps it was an auxiliary field in a previous life, too. It was a lovely field for us, and we had a good relationship with the owner of the property. Did you know that a family was renting the barn, and lived upstairs? The father of that family was the pilot who took off in the DVD in the middle of our meet. He had come down to our tent and asked for a break so he could get off. I think he kept the plane at BB and just flew in and out. He took a lot of stuff from us, (the crowds when meets were held, the dust from cars pulling in and out, noise and erratic planes, etc. but rarely complained unless someone flew too close to the barn), which you know was a good distance from our flying site. When we left it became this huge Mobile Home Park.

Thanks to Free Bird for the 1964 Invitational article. I read the whole thing and found a very interesting tid-bit. Shown on page 64, the last paragraph in the center column, we have a favorite to this website star. The obstreperous Chuck Winter and his jet aircraft. I kid you not, that was Chuck, just ask him. It was a highlight and was very thrilling to the crowd. Good job Chuck!

Also thanks to Jeff Walker for the website for a solution to my English Cd or DVD from our friend Stuart Foster. I'll assign that task to my son-in-law or my brainiac grandsons. It is too bad that the three grandchildren were born after Tom passed away. but Jenny and Brett got to see the plane in the museum when it was in Reston.

Take care, Duane and keep in touch......You know now I check in on the thread often, and enjoy all of the remarks and attention given to Tom's planes.

Helen
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ca81546.pdf (433.8 KB, 30 views)