RCU Forums - View Single Post - SAP 180 (Syssa Performance)
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 10:41 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SAP 180 (Syssa Performance)

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

Well at least you won't need the 90-degree elbow with the SAP. But it might be a bit trickier to get at the throttle linkage so a removable cover on the motor box might be needed. Not difficult to do in most cases.
This is how I connected the throttle and choke, as i showed a few pages back http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10094284

Had a flying session last Sunday with my Temptress/SAP combo. Forgot how fast the set-up flies, at least for the first few flights of the season. We need a little less speed and more mid range grunt. In contrast, Ed's YS powered Prestige has a better flight speed versus truck pull envelope. As I stated a few times before, the SAP is a fine engine for the lower classes but doesn't help as much in the higher classes. It makes lots of raw power at higher rpm than we use. Gotta figure out how to tone the beast down.

Jim Martin was saying that we should take about 1 mm off the cylinder deck to increase compression. That will also lower exhaust duration. A couple beneficial things would happen from such a change: Compression increase will improve the mid range grunt and should allow use of higher octane gasoline like Avgas (which I prefer). Exhaust duration reduction will reduce high end rpm boost by the pipe. It sounds like exactly what we want.

I will at some point sacrifice a cylinder to see if the theory will match the practical