RCU Forums - View Single Post - 33% Gee Bee Hostetler Build
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 12:27 PM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: 33% Gee Bee Hostetler Build

YES, the control throws are about right.
IF you prefer the 'cushion' of programming more throw should the need arise, you can dial in about 40% expo which will soften things up around neutral.

IF the Hostetler flies anything like the CARF and even my scratch built 25% Haffke (modified for scale accuracy) then you will find that rudder is VERY effective. On both my Gee Bees, rudder deflection induced a downward (negative) pitch, so do not be alarmed if you experience this. Elevator is also fully effective right up to the stall, then it is as if you have no elevator at all[X(]

Ailerons are slow at the initial settings, but plenty effective all the way down to landing speed. You may want to increase throw for faster roll rate after a few flights, but keep in mind the Gee Bee has aileron reversal at higher angles of attack; this will be exasurbated with increased aileron throw. If you put ailerons on separate channels, the Gee Bee will benefit from some aileron differential (more up than down), but I do not have the specific amounts for you. 10% would be a good starting point.

The Hostetler should be a mroe forgiving, less quirky handling plane than the CARF since it has a much thicker airfoil.

I REALLY look forward to flight reports and even a video, as the Hostetler is on my "absolutely to-do" list