RCU Forums - View Single Post - 26cc engine, what airframe?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 06:12 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: 26cc engine, what airframe?

I think many that are looking into this are checking out the recommended engine sizes and the weights, so they're doing some home work. What needs much more focus than I often hear about regarding this decision though, is wing area. A 26cc powered 10lb plane flying on an 800-850 sq in wing is going to have totally different behavior when compared to a 26cc powered 10lb plane flying on a 1000+ sq in wing. Yes, they'll both take off, land and fly great, BUT, the larger wing area will let things happen much slower. It's easier to fly, lands slower, won't be as snap happy on final, and when it comes to 3D type stuff, way further ahead. For instance, they'll deal with being tail heavy much better IMHO, they also don't build a big head of steam on the down lines as easily. In defense of the 850's, they do have better wind penetration, and if you like flying guided missile style, the 850 would lend itself to that better as well.

Point being, all else being equal, the wing area will be a very large factor in deciding on the "personality" of the plane. FWIW