RCU Forums - View Single Post - Don Muddiman Flying Machine
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 07:11 AM
ovationdave
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Don Muddiman Flying Machine

I totally understand what your saying, and would probably do the same (follow the instructions) If someone in a forum, who I don't really know told me different. The only thing I would say is that, from my perspective, when I add the carbon fiber strips to the spars, I think there is enough strength added that way that I wouldn't use 6oz cloth, seems like a lot, but if you don't do that, stick to the plans. Either way, try the epoxy method on a piece of scrap, and you'll see what I mean.

I will say that after I thought about it, my quickee 500 has you do two 2oz layers, one about twice as wide as the other (first layer) and one that is only an inch or two wider than the fuse at the leading edge, and tapers back to the trailing edge to be about 1" wider than the fuse at the rear. (both pieces were a "V" shape from front to back).

The carbon fiber I use is the super thin IRON-on strips that are about 1/4 inch wide. I laminate both sides of the upper and lower spars with them before I install the spar on the ribs. It makes the spar really strong. You just have to make sure its straight when you apply the CF, and then I saturate it with CA.

I guess if you like glassing, you could do the whole wing, but I never have.

Dave