RCU Forums - View Single Post - Don Muddiman Flying Machine
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 10:03 AM
ovationdave
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Don Muddiman Flying Machine

Just remember that its critical to use the z-poxy finishing resin, it is much thinner to begin with, if your using regular epoxy its just too thick. You can always put down a layer of epoxy prior to laying the glass down too. I know if the glass has a real tight weave it can be hard to saturate.

The CF strips I used I got in Toledo years ago, the name on the carbon is from a place called "California Carbon" in Jamul Ca. But I can't seem to find them on the web.

On my Lanier Dominator Q500 plane, the first layer of cloth is about 14" wide on the LE, and 6" on the TE. The second layer is about 9" wide on the LE and 3" on the TE. I did something similar on my last Flying machine. One thing too is that the original (my first) Flying Machine had a Foam wing, on that, I laminated strips of the Carbon Fiber between the foam and the sheeting, on the newer "built up" wing, I will do the thing with the spar being laminated between the strips. But I should say I have not built the Flying machine yet with the built up wing to "validate" it, but that is what I will be doing.

Dave