RCU Forums - View Single Post - Just getting into it
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 08:10 AM
boomer1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just getting into it

Here are a few thoughts on the two boats you have listed. The Fortune is a very nice boat and the price is the lowest I have seen. It isa small version ( 24 inches ) of their 'flag ship" the 1M Seawind. The fortune is very small boat which translates to being limited to light wind conditions, andsmall boat can bevery hard to see from accross an average pond. I have sailed this boat and can report is sails well, but is easily overpowered by a decent breeze. This is a really nice looking boat (to my taste) and not a bad choice but, like most who get them,you aremost likely toend up getting a larger boat.

The Aqua-craft isa littlelonger boat at 26". In my opinion this is more ofa "toy like" product. Aqua-craft sells quite a few of these but, I have not seen many out sailing by those who are out sailing on a regular bases. I have sailed this boat as well, and would give the Kyosho muchhigher marks overall.

"thorsail' has given you good suggestions. Ito am a member of AMYA, and enjoy class racing, but that may not for everyone. There is a classified section on their web site, that has some nice boats for sale, and is worth a visit. The best sailing small boatsI am aware ofis the 21" Micro Magic, but comes as a kit. They just started to offer a ready to sale boat but it sells for $350 or close to that.

Honestly, a larger boat will provide you with a better overall experience. You can not beat the Nirvana ll. If you pony up for a few more "bucks" I believe you'd be happier and better off. I canshare withyou thatthe Nirvana has superior resale value. Why, because is a very good boat to start with, and grow with. I am speaking from personal experience. My first RC sailboat was a Nirvana ll. I liked it so much, I gotsecond Nirvana. I have since owned a dozen other RC yachts. I sold the first two Nirvana's for what I paid for them a year later. Now some years later, I just got another new Nirvana. I have several more expensive and larger RC sailboats, but found I missed sailingthe Nirvana. I gotthis onewith out the electronics, to save a little money. I had the servos and radio so, it was very reasonable. By the way, the Nirvana has an official AMYA class and it is great fun to race with other owners.

I grant you there are many choices which can be confusing. I promise,youwill be happier if you do researh before you buy. Thorsail is right on the money in suggesting you find and visita sailing club near you. Most of these clubs have a"guest" sailboat or two, or will invite you to sail their own boats. RC Sailors are a great group of folks who feel that the more the sailors, the better.

The choice is yours, but in the long run, knowledge is your friend and will end up saving you money. I posted a picture of myblue Nirvana and few other Nirvana pictures for you to get an idea of how they look on the water. Check out the sites we have given you, and let us know what you think.

Boomer

ORIGINAL: dhershy

IThanjks for all the help i am going to to tak a look at those crafts. But i have als ofound 2 other ones that seem to be decent

http://www.activepowersports.com/pro...KYO40041B.html
How ever there is a lack of information so if any one could tell me any thing about it that would be nice

http://www.activepowersports.com/pro...-AQUB01**.html

I also found this one its at the top of my price range but i can srcap up an extra 5 buks.

so how ware this two ships??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71892.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	1589558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52078.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1589559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30296.jpg
Views:	40