RCU Forums - View Single Post - Electric Formula One: List of Recommended and Approved Components
Old 04-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Randy Smith

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Electric Formula One: List of Recommended and Approved Components

Hi Mike,
It's good that E-F1 has sparked your interest in pylon again. This was one objective of the event when it was created. I hope you will purchase one of the kits or ARF and come on out and race. Experienced pylon racers have lots to contribute and the new guys need mentors.

Regarding the Sundowner 36, it is approved for the event and a readily available ARF kit. However, as pointed out by Danny Kane, it is larger in a number of respects than the current minimums called out in the rules. I have not flown a Sundowner but based on this and the laws of physics and aerodynamics, I'm pretty sure that it would not be as competitive as a Pogo or any of the other designs that meet the minimum airframe rules. I am not aware of any E-F1 contests held yet where a Sundowner was flown against the E-F1 designs for comparison. I would say that it is more suited as a learning platform for beginners to easily purchase and get around the poles successfully. It would likely have better takeoff and landing behaviors than the Pogo and other E-F1 designs due to its larger design features and dimensions. For this reason, again, it's likely better for beginners. This is my honest input.

I agree with you about the Pogo. I am not that fond of its looks either but it does fly very well around the poles. If you can wait, there are a number of E-F1 ARF designs coming out this summer and next summer. We are aware of some very sexy designs being kitted as ARFs. We just don't know who will be offering them or precisely when they will be on the market. We are looking forward to ARFs in the form of: Shoestring, Proud Bird, Miss Dara, Miss Outrageous, and Little Toni. Word is some of these will be out by July/August of this year. Since E-F1 will be flown at the US Nats for the first time this summer, I suspect that one or more of these ARFs will make an appears at the Nats to showcase its debut.

Randy