RCU Forums - View Single Post - WIND,WIND,WIND
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 01:19 AM
Oberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WIND,WIND,WIND

ORIGINAL: adabikerdoctor

Flying in these windy conditions makes you alot better pilot in RC and FS. I have 4 giant scale that fly excellent in the wind. If you don't have one of them buy a roll gyro and put on your smaller planes, smoothes them right out with a 25%gain. I use a gyro on my 50'' EP Katanna & 49'' GP EP Sporster. Make some adjustment and get out there and fly, Gentlemen!

Flying in windy conditions will make you a better pilot eventually, but at what cost? I know a guy at my Club that fly's in windy conditions and he keeps buying or repairing his planes on a regular bases. I have a plane that is 3 years old now because I don't take un-nessesary risks.

I flew my first Seagull.90 Extra 260 in wind gusts and I did my usual " Knife Edge" about 10' off the ground. A gust of crosswind nailed me as I was about to pull out of it and this is what happened.

I crashed right in the middle 2 corn rows near our airfield. The real mistake is I was doing low stunts in windy conditions and it was my fault.

Just a note to add and it's a little off topic: Everyone at my Club has been pestering for me to buy another Seagull .90 Extra 260 since the beginning of last summer, so I bought another one yesterday just to shut everyone up about it. Even my LHS knew I crashed the last one when other people told him about it, and they ordered another one telling me I had my name on it. I guess he was right.

I guess they knew I really liked the plane and had a ball with it, so everyone can count me out with the windy days. I'll just sit back with the Ol'timers and watch everyone else crash.

Pete