RCU Forums - View Single Post - Flaps or flaperons?
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 01:24 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Flaps or flaperons?

Back when I test flew my flying buddy's CG Cub I already knew about keeping the nose up and draggy to get the glide to steepen up. The problem was that with the "usual" prop on the .60 that was on the nose even at idle when I would get the nose up the idle power in conjunction with the prop was still too much power and instead of steepening the glide it just put it into idling level flight and the model didn't want to come down. This was years ago but as I recall the typical prop for a two stroke .60 was something like a 12x6 so that's likely what it was.

That Cub was a perfect example of how it is actually possible to over power a model. When even at idle you can't get it to land a case can be made to suggest that the model is just plain overpowered.

If you insist on doing the flaperon thing despite our suggestions be sure to do the initial "practice landings" about 4 mistakes high so if/when you learn how easy it is to have it stall into a spin that you have time to pull the flaperons back up before pulling it out of the spin or spiral dive.