RCU Forums - View Single Post - FUTABA Telemetry
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 12:33 PM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: FUTABA Telemetry

The negativity stems from the concern that in order to ascertain exactly what is at  fault you have to take your eyes off the plane. Voice prompts help here but on a flightline with more than 2 or three pilots there is the possibility that vice prompts can be drowned out.
The telemetry features are lovely to have but there is nothing more attention grabbling than your plane wagging its wings to indicate a problem or the throttle servo blipping the throttle to grab your attention.
Fail safes on Futuba Multi channel Rx allow you to set the Rx to move servo's to predetermined positions but these need to taken a step further to provide a visual clue.
Take GPS for example. The voice prompt says turn let in 300ft but the raod you actually need to tuen down is at 280ft and there are two turn offs. Which do you take? So you refer to the moving map. A Visual clue.

Currently telemetry options ony provide information on the Tx screen in real time or a voice prompt. Both are not the most effective means of warning a pilot concentrating on his/her airplane.

Hence these foirst generation telemetry devices are nice to have but gimicky.

Telemetry I will buy will either operate as a failsafe or in conjection with a visual projection onto a headsup display like a sunglass o spectacle lens.

So matter hw much the Hitec door to door salesman want to sell his wares, its poorly implemented and discard his radio as a choice based on other reasons. The Telemetry is not a selling point to me.

IF Futaba merely matches what Hitec and Spektrum are offering I will skip this generation of telemetry. I don't consider the current telemetry offerings to be safe.