RCU Forums - View Single Post - Does a turbine run better with inlet ducting
Old 04-15-2011, 04:24 AM
Nhalyn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Does a turbine run better with inlet ducting

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel
Its well documented that EDF's need a good free flow of air in fact more than the outlet, the radius of the inlets also has to be correct, turbines are a lot more efficient than EDF's and will take in as much air as they need to combust efficiently, what I am looking for is some implacable information on the efficiencies of an inlet duct compared to the Boomerang type of inlet.
Mike
Hi Mike,

It's the same for kero turbine. It's a matter of efficiency. With our modern kero turbine we have always enough power, nor we put a P180 or P200 intead of a P160 and that's it. With electric ducted fan we have to work on efficiency as we have a limited power source, the batteries, and a power to weight ratio really lower than kero jets. We can't work many more on engine (with 85% efficiency) or complete electric chain (good speed controllers, accus 45C, good plugs, etc).

Turbulent air in front of the engine cost a lots of efficiency, as you said we are well documented on that subject with electric. If it cost efficency (= power !) with an electric ducted fan why does it should not cost the same with a kero burner... If inlet compressor can work in laminar air, it will be far better.

As our kero turbine are not (at all !) consuption efficients (4 to 5 liters for a P160SX 10 minuts flight ? With 1 liter gazoline on my zenoah ZG 62, I can fly for minimum 30 minuts !) with that single stage compressor, it's not the first work to do that working on bypass and inlet quality. When multiple stage turbine will be ready for business, it will be time to look at the other parameters !

Your question is really good in fact...