RCU Forums - View Single Post - Out of the office for a while, and turnkey model deliveries
Old 04-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Out of the office for a while, and turnkey model deliveries

Now at my local flying field back home we have an on-running issue with maintaining the runway surface. It has been 3 years + that we have been discussing the issue of maintaining the runway, and in those 3 years very little has actually been achieved.
With this in mind, I was more than a bit sceptical when I arrived at the flying field to see the runway looking like the photos in the post before this one. I had almost resided to the fact that we would be flying off the sand, as I could see no way that with less then 4 days to go, that this piece of land jutting out into the sea could be made into a flyable runway. Yet again, I was wrong! Model club set up.. Saudi Style. in under 54 hours from start to finish. I will let the photos explain the rest.

Here the compactors start levelling an area 250 meters by 38 meters wide. This was just the area that I planned for the hard surface to go down on. They also did the run off area to make the transition from asphalt to sand as smooth as possible.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18295.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1595075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95887.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1595076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65811.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	54.1 KB