RCU Forums - View Single Post - E-Maxx 3908/3903 Build-Update-Painted body pics!!!
Old 04-17-2011, 11:49 AM
guys2nv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E-Maxx 3908/3903 Build-Update-Painted body pics!!!

Thanks Stampedvxl, You use heavy duty oven cleaner (spray can) usually comes in a yellow can (in my area). You can get it at almost any supermarket/walwart/kmart, Dollar stores are the best bet b/c it's usually like $1 a can. Just spray it on the parts (I use a non-coated metal can like a coffee can) and let it sit for like 10 min or so then check it and most of it should be off-if not just spray more on. You might need a soft metal brush to get stubborn areas clean. It might leave a brown looking coating on the parts-just brush it off w/ the metal brush and once all the anodizing is gone just wash it off with water and let it dry.

You can also use the oven cleaner to de-chrome the stock rims-same process as above but use an old toothbrush/plastic bristle brush (metal brush will scratch the plastic). Spray it on the rims-let um sit then get to tough spots w/ a plastic based bristle brush. I would remove the tires first by boiling or baking the tires off. Don't use the acetone method on stock traxxas tires-they'll melt and the rims might to. After all that just wash um off with water and let um dry.

The shocks are off a losi 8ight 2.0 RTR buggy (rears all around for an E-Maxx and cost about $30-$35 for 2 off ebay). The silver/black springs in my pics are to soft so I had to get stiffer purple (4.3 rate) springs for the rear and gray (4.0 rate) for the front. I also had to open up the holes in the upper RPM arms where the shocks go through b/c the springs rubbed and made them crooked-nothing a dremel can't fix (you will void the RPM warranty though once you cut/grind on a RPM arm). You'll also need some 4mm screws and the little spacer thingies for the upper mount hole. I also had to open up the screw holes on the shock tower-I just used a body reamer. Other then that they pretty much bolt on. The pro version shocks are the same but they have metal caps and TiN shafts-the parts are interchangeable between both shocks though. As for how good they work I can't answer yet b/c I have yet to run the truck but these shocks are well known to be one tough cookie and very smooth (alotta ppl use them on short course trucks). They look like monsters compared to the stock maxx shocks. Hope this helped ya.