RCU Forums - View Single Post - When did you start into rc?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 04:41 AM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: When did you start into rc?

I got my first control line airplane when I was 10 - it was an Ace Lil Wizard, and I had a Cox .049 Babe Bee on the front.

My first RC came at the age of 12 when I got an Ace Wizard 2-channel airplane and a Futaba 2-channel radio system. This plane, again, used the same .049 engine. Unlike Minnflyer, I was the only person in my family with the airplane 'bug'.

My first 4-channel plane, a Tower Trainer .40, I got when I was about 14. I used it as my 4-H project in the aerospace division, and it took me to the Minnesota State Fair. At that point, I had an uncle that was into RC, so I went to monthly RC club meetings with him. I'm now 33 years old.

My son, on the other hand, is now 9 years old, and he soloed last spring. He is flying a Flyzone Skyfly Max, and he'll be moving on to the E-flite Advance 25e ARF when he's ready this year. He's been around airplanes since he was born. Both of his grandpas fly full scale planes, and he took his first airplane ride in his grandpa's Bellanca Explorer at 3 yrs old. Grandpa strapped him in the back seat in his car seat, and my son has been hooked ever since. Grandpa now has a small Zen air side-by-side, and my son is already learning the finer points of taking off and landing.
At the rate he's going, he'll probably have his pilot's license before he gets his driver's license!!!