RCU Forums - View Single Post - When did you start into rc?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 09:32 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: When did you start into rc?

I guess if I had to pick a date, it would be summer of 1972 because that is when I bought my first RC radio, a Kraft Series 72. I also bought a Sterling Fledgling trainer, but I forget what engine I had on the nose of it. I joined a club and got an instructor, but getting together with him proved to be a real PITA, so after only a couple of lessons, I tried it all alone one day and guess what. Right. I destroyed it. The first of many. I believe it was the following year that I bought what must have been the very first ARF ever offered for sale. I don't remember what the name of it was, but I do remember part of the instructions was to fill the fuselage behind the servos with expanding foam like you use in home construction. Man, what a turkey that thing was. It would fly, but only under about 3/4 WOT and higher. I had a HP .40 on it, and that engine was a screamer. It needed it. It had all the glide characteristics of a brick and you had to land it at about 40MPH. Man, what a POS. Anyway, what with chasing the ladies, playing with guns, and trying to drink the state of Missouri dry for years, I didn't do a lot with RC. Then I moved here to Arkansas and got together with one of the finest bunch of guys I have ever met. It is not a large group, but not an ass in the bunch. I also met the best flier I have ever seen and he was also an instructor and he became my instructor. We were on the same wave length at all times. He taught me to fly.