RCU Forums - View Single Post - Just getting started... quick question!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:57 AM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just getting started... quick question!

ORIGINAL: Drmeff

What do you guys think about something like the Hanger 9 Alpha 40 RTF? Are most RTF's just decent planes with junk engines/electronics? I see they sell that one for about 300 with most of the stuff you need to get going (minus some of the field boxes and such).
The H9 Alpha 9 RTF is a great combo. I've taught many people who show up with their new planes w/o any problems... but I end up "finishing" and adjusting the plane for them.

However as said repeatedly... DON'T SPEND THE MONEY ON A PLANE YET!

Instead go to a local club. Find one with a training program and preferably a nearby airfield and JOIN.

You'll need the AMA liability insurance ( BTW: It only covers amounts in EXCESS of your personal liability insurance so makes sure both are up to date! )... and the club field will be a place you'll be able to fly even if you are faced with irate neighbors or the police showing up at your door....

The cost of joining both the AMA and the club will be offset by the cost of a plane you DO NOT crash. Club programs try to get you through the most "dangerous" period safely, and hopefully keep your interest in the hobby.

Remember though, that in spite of the cost, we are all doing this for free, simply because we want to encourage others.... bare that in mind when dealing with club members... though hopefully you'll find a friendly bunch... or better yet an interesting group that keeps you laughing and amused too!