RCU Forums - View Single Post - To the old salts...
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 07:56 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: To the old salts...

ORIGINAL: LSP972

... who hang out here, helping newbies... please forgive the length of this inquiry, but you'll see why. I posted this query in the newbie/beginner forum because the veterans here will be most up-to-speed on the topic of viable trainer models.
//SNIP//
So I go to the LHS and check out the various Empire trainers; Hobbico AviStar, NexStar, Tower Trainer, etc. Not impressed with any of those (nor the few ''off-brand/economy'' offerings), either, for various reasons.

So, here's the question: What else is out there? The new offering of the TameCat looks intriguing, but I'm betting its squirrelly on the ground; and everybody seems to be out of stock, anyway.

Have I missed anything? All I want is a simple high D-tube wing and box fuselage, that is light enough to fly on an old O.S. 40FP. I'll make a taildragger out of it, and as soon as the kid is competent with it he can try his P-51 again. Wish I had the time to build that LT40, but that just isn't in the cards now. I need SOMETHING, before the kid loses interest.

Help me out here, guys... I've run slap out of options.

Mr. LSP972:

If you do wish to have a trainer that will provide good qualities to train with the OS 40, then here is the one. I have one that has been in use since I don't remember when. When it was war-weary after some 5 years old, a youngster finally caught me not quick enough to respond, at low altitude and it went in nose first even breaking the wings apart and demolishing the nose. I rebuilt it and it has again been active especially in the AMA TAG events that my club Jetero RC sponsors several time a year. It also serves in club fun-flys and on occasion a refresher for landing practice for me. I have a brand new one in a box in the barn still waiting for it to be needed. Now some 8 years old, using a well worn old Super Tigre .40. I use 11-4 or 5 black fiber props for training and most sport flying. My grandson soloed out with it when he was 14 years old and is now 18. He got caught up in that "G&G disease" and doesn't fly now. (G&G = Gas and Girls )

You stated that you are not impressed with these however If you will allow objectivity to override prejudice, either of these two models will serve your purpose.

They are the Tower Trainer Mark II, and/or the Superstar 40, actually the same as the TTM II. They are excellent when not overpowered. As a builder for since the late '40s it is easy for me to build for a plug-in front and 2 bolt rear wing saddle. If you can do that I highly recommend such.

Regardless of all the other hype you might read, and you don't want to build, I strongly recommend the above trainers. THEY WORK and will do the job. There are many that also work. I have a built-up Sig Seniorita that is excellent, again powered with an old ST 40. To make it excellent, I built in 1.5" X 9" barn-door ailerons inset 3" from the end of each wing tip. Makes that a whole 'nother machine.