RCU Forums - View Single Post - To the old salts...
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 05:47 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: To the old salts...

ORIGINAL: willig10

I would suggest that you dont get too wrapped up in how an airplane looks. You may have been in the RC community for awhile and a trainer is way far behind you. Your Grandson on the other hand just needs to learn how to fly on a stable, forgiving and slow airplane.
Thanks for the philosophical observations. I don't care what it LOOKS like... I'm more concerned with the flight characteristics. However... FWIW, grandson #1 learned on an LT 40, and he quickly became bored with that airplane because it wasn't "cool". His interest didn't pick up again until I built him a Sig Kougar. I was trying to avoid a re-occurrence of that with the H9 P-51 PTS. When that idea tanked, I decided to hell with the "looks", he'll learn properly or not at all.

I got weary of agonizing over this decision, and, unable to find an Eagle ARF anywhere, picked up an Empire SuperStar 40 today at the LHS. With the second, "cool" plane (the H9 P-51) sitting in the wall rack where he can see it, and anticipate flying it, hopefully he won't tire of the plebian trainer too soon.

Thanks again to all who responded.