RCU Forums - View Single Post - F3A Two Meter Rule
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 04:32 AM
cmoulder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F3A Two Meter Rule

Imagine a 3 meter pattern plane with a 170 cc motor....
There's already something very close to that if you want to give it a shot: a DA-powered Carden Extra on low rates.

In my very humble opinion, as a guy who just last year got into pattern and is just starting to catch his breath, current state-of-the-art is pretty darn good and is still showing a lot of innovation in airframes, power plants and R/C equipment. At the same time, a few manufacturers have just worked out a production cost formula that will bring affordable packages to more of us and keep them in business, if only barely in this current economy. Let's not mess with that.

Another factor for me, and I suspect a lot of others, is the issue of transporting models to the practice field and to contest venues. Pull into the parking lot at a big IMAC-oriented club and you'll see what I mean... a lot more large vans, big SUV's and trailers.

And as usual, the great pilots and those who practice their craft will rise to the top no matter what equipment options or restrictions are specified by the rules.

As Matt said above, change the rules now and watch even more guys walk away from competitive pattern.

If you are not happy with pattern in its current state there is a solution: Go fly IMAC.