RCU Forums - View Single Post - FLYING SAUCER
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 07:35 PM
tmojosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FLYING SAUCER

Fyi with the specs provided I assumed your flying saucer was going to be 18 - 22 inches , if you want 30 to 50 inches there is a different but similar approach but it costs prob 200 to 300 dollars more. You can use 450 size trex parts , get all of them from xheli.com which are trex clones and one third cost. You can have counter rotating variable pitch mechanisms. Use fixed orientation variable pitch for top blades , they with not tilt and provide gyroscopic stabilization , then have a 450 size heli rotating oposite direction for bottom set of blades , they will need to be at least ten inches from top set for clearance. The bottom set can tilt with swash plate and three servos , one for pitch , one yaw and one for rotor pitch. Both blades will spin at 3000 rpm contra rotation , they cannot be out of synce that is what allows to hover without your flyng saucer spinning uncontrolled. When the bottom rotor tilts the saucer will move and slightly tilt in that direction. It will fly like a heli but no need for yaw stabilation. Believe me I like in tennessee and people are ufo nuts . Whats cool is if you adjust the trim on the top rotor blade the saucer will spins slowly in place, cool effect, very mars attacks. The reason why you have vsriable pitch is as you increase lift the craft lifts in a smooth motion, smooooooth is the most important feature we are looking for, a disc wizzing around uncontrollable and unable to stop midair and hover just isnt cool. :> basically you would need two heli heads and matching blade sets , 4 servos , 2 brushless motors two brushless controllers and two battery packs if you want a list of parts to make it run real smooth let me know.