RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cox TD RC .050 Carburetor question
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 01:16 AM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cox TD RC .050 Carburetor question

Ben Tarnofsky was the guy, outa Montreal, I think. He made a four engine, sport plane and routinely wowed the fly-in crowds with four engines singing in synch with perfect throttling. AND it was a VERY unique design with multiple, user friendly features. Like a throttle arm that had a slip clutch affair. If the servo maxed out, no stalling, the throttle lever would just slip but still maintain authority over the barrel.

I had two but for some reason, they didn't work all that well on my TDs. Well, no wonder, no adjustable airbleed. I added the feature and it helped but still not perfect. From there, I messed with the throttles themselves and now I have a pile of mangled parts.

If you DO put Cox throttles together, do all a favour and put the air bleed screw ON THE SIDE, like is logical for adjusting on the fly. Otherwise, you have to stop the engine, tweak, start, stop, tweak, start, stop, tweak, start,,,,, every bloody time you go flying. Geez, how could they have put that screw on the top and not realized how bleeding inconvenient it was. If the bodies are already drilled and taped, just add the same on the side, what's already there won't interfere. Rant over, time for more meds.

Anyway, here's a tip. Use an adapter to take turbo plugs. Very useful in playing with heat ranges and brands to get good throttling. Also, sometimes, you run out of air bleed adjustment range. If you can't get the idle lean enough, ADD a few head gaskets. You'll loose a few RPMs but a reliable idle is the result. Use more nitro.

Don't use a stock, head thingy, adapter that uses a standard plug unless you can tolerate a loss of 1.5K.

Oh yes, Udisco. A rumour I heard from a fellow at the World Scale Champs in Ottawa. There was a Canadian made radio at the time that had many of the features as a first that our radios use today. And it was priced competitively and sold well. Apparently the guy got a major order and committed to a huge investment in parts and manpower. At a crucial moment, that huge order was canceled. From there, the guy offered kits to build your own to use up all the parts and then went bankrupt. NASTY business. I built one of the kits and it was all good stuff. But my Rx had a bad solder joint, (done by me) or something and all I got out of the thing was four very nice servos.