RCU Forums - View Single Post - North East Classic Pattern Pilots?
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Skylane
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: North East Classic Pattern Pilots?

Paul,

Thanks for the link - very interesting. I learned to fly RC while I was a graduate student at Tufts University in Meford, Mass. We flew in a hay field northwest of Boston, just inside the Route 128. My instructor flew a bright red Banshee and I was hooked on pattern from day 1 (1970). My son lives in Chelmsford, Mass and on a recent visit there we went in search of the old field. We actually found it and it is still being used by a local club! It seems that the owner specified in his will that it was to be used for RC flying. That brought back a lot of memories from over 40 years ago. Some of the trees I landed in are still there! From there I went to Cleveland, Ohio which was an active area for pattern in the 70s. That was where I first met Dave Brown and Don Lowe at a local contest. I think that it would be fun to have some pattern-oriented events, be they fly-ins, contests, or whatever. I wish you luck with generating local interest. You may have seen on other threads that there are pockets of interest getting started throughout the US - Texas and California come to mind, for example. For those that are organizing such events, if there is anything that we can do through our Newsletter or website, please let me know and I'll see what I can do. Good luck with the effort.

Jeff
Vice-President SPA