RCU Forums - View Single Post - Mato's 3:1 brass gearbox
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Mato's 3:1 brass gearbox

ORIGINAL: candycab

This is probably a really dumb question my part but how do these stack up to Asiatam boxes ?

I'm guessing the Asiatams are higher quality overall ?

I had been waiting for someone to buy and try the new Matos before I pick up two sets of one or the other.

Thanks for letting us know how yours went, I appreciate the info

It isn't a dumb question. I don't have am Asiatam unit to compare with. After seeing how the Mato units are made I am comfortable
saying that on the whole I'm no longer unsatisfied I bought them. When I first posted this topic I was expecting all 6 unuts needed
as much work as the first. I am pleased to say that isn't the case.

When I made the decision to buy them I wanted not to have to spend the time making units myself and these met that criterion;
the slight adjustments not withstanding.

The only unknown is how well they will hold up over time. Surely these would not hold up to the rigorous driving I hear some chaps here
subject their machines to. Brass gears likely will not hold up as well as hardened steel gears. If you are a moderate to granny operator like I
am they'll probably outlast us both. The ball bearings on the output shaft are quite small; also unknown is how these parts will hold up to
lateral forces under load.

I'm rebuilding my models to use Asaitam's metal hulls which I'm hoping will provide a bit more rigidity and aid the life span of the units.

Jerry