RCU Forums - View Single Post - Giant Model Products Introduces a 50cc GeeBee R3 ARF
Old 05-01-2011, 06:30 PM
brusshorton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Giant Model Products Introduces a 50cc GeeBee R3 ARF

Here is video. This is not the maiden, but flight 3. I was using a 22x14 Xoar on the first flight, but it did not pull well at all. Went to a 23x8 on the second flight and it really came alive.

Today was VERY windy, with lots of gusting cross winds. Every other landing was fine, excepts this one. The plane weather vanes into the wind very strongly. I think it is the big landing hear acting like side force generators. Despite what you see here, it is very easy to land. It floats in and the forward mains helps it stick when it gets down.

My CG is behind the recommended range at 6 1/2 inches behind the LE. I had full smoke tanks on this flight. When full, the tanks push the CG into the 6-6.25 range. Does not seem to mind, and is not pitchy at all. Probably helps slow it down with the landing.

I did not use flaps at all. I am not sure I trust the flap horn mounts. The flaps are very soft balsa, and even with CA hardened points, they still feel flimsy. I may add plywood hard points in the future.

I have the Ignition battery (1500mah NiCad) and the smoke pump (Sullivan) mounted on top of the engine box. The flight and smoke battery is in front of the wing tube, and I still had to add 2 oz of weight to the firewall. Now that I have flown it, I may remove some of the nose weight.

Flies great. Tracking takes some getting used to. Have to use coordinated rudder in the turns. Want to KE if you don't. BTW it KE's great.

Enjoy.

Russ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmeLo9sKVSY