RCU Forums - View Single Post - A newcomer to the full-size F3A models
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 12:23 PM
dando

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A newcomer to the full-size F3A models

Hello! My name is Nickolay. I'm 18 years old and live in the capital of Bulgaria - Sofia. I like 3D flying, but my true passion is pattern. So far I've taken part in two simpler than F3A pattern classes (National and Sport in Bulgaria) and had some nice wins in them, although there aren't many people flying pattern these days here. I'm currently flying a glow model with 1.20 4-stroke engine, which has small side area and is quite heavy, so it's not very suitable for F3A.
However, I've decided it's time to get into F3A flying with a full-size 2m/2m model. With the huge support of my family and flying fellows, I'm slowly getting a model built. A modeller near me is building a composite F3A model for his son and me. The problem is I suppose it wouldn't be very easy to get it in the 5kg limit.
My main issue is choosing the proper equipment. I think it's best if I could invest in quality servos in the first place. I'm considering either Futaba brushless digital servos or their coreless equivalents, but for me brushless is the right choice. What do you guys think? I'm looking for the most appropriate servos nowadays for all control surfaces. I read that AJ recommends Futaba BLS352 for RUD, 2xFutaba BLS651 for ELE and 2xFutaba BLS551 for AIL, but maybe this is a bit older info. I prefer spending a bit more on servos, but have them in my next F3A model(s).
The other doubt is the motor/ESC/prop combo. Which motor would be most suitable for a very close to 5kg model - a Dualsky, a HiMax, Axi, Scorpion (I think it's out of stock for now), or other? If the Dualsky would be a nice choice, I could buy it from an online shop, relatively close to me. As for the ESC, I'm considering either CC or Dualsky, but am open to recommendations.
For the radio system, I think I'll try FrSky's 2.4GHz module for Futaba, as I have the 9C Super on 72MHz. I consider the 8-channel RX will be up to the task. For powering the RX and servos, maybe the PowerBox's Digi Switch is the best choice with a single Lipo.
As for the batteries, I'm in doubt between Rhino 4900mAh 2x5S1P 20C or Turnigy nano-tech 5000mah 2x5S 25~50C. What Lipo would you recommend also for the RX and servos? Something in the 1000mAh range? I'd prefer Hobbyking products, but am open to all suggestions
For charger, maybe one iCharger 3010B is a nice choice, or two 6-8s chargers (also would like advice on this one). In the beginning, I may use truck or larger car batteries on the field for charging, as the money are a problem in my case, and later a generator.
I'm sorry for the long post, but I'd be very thankful if I get responses on the all-around setup on a relatively competetive F3A model
Thanks in advance!
Nickolay