RCU Forums - View Single Post - engine shutting down on take off
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 04:16 AM
Oberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: engine shutting down on take off

ORIGINAL: hotrod31

I have a .47 gms engine that cut off on take off when you are about 10ft off the ground it wants to stall. I have adjust the needle on the ground while holding it upright and it still acts up. The only thing i can do is cut the throttle to 1/2 and then it runs fine, or when its up to flying height then i can give it 100% throttle and as long as i don't go up to sharply it's fine. I know it's a moody engine but it's worked better on my other planes.

It sounds as if your low end is too rich. When I first started my Super Tigger .51 a few days ago, my engine did the same thing. I don't know very much about your engine, but most people in here will tell you that Super Tiggers are usually very touchy. When I slammed the throttle forward, it didn't respond quickly and it gradually went up to 100%. (Plus I noticed she smoked and spit out more oil than usual, my pant leg was soaked after running out a 8oz tank of glow.

Because my Tigger engine was on it's side I had to keep turning off the motor everytime I made a turn on the low end, and every time I did that, we have to re-adjust the top end needle. It was a pain!

Now if my Tigger engine was vertical in the mount, I usually crank the engine at 100% then bring it down to 50% and take a long wire hanger, straighten it out and beat one end with a hammer and file the tip straight- and use it to adjust your low end while your engine is running at 50%. It will go up in RPM quite a bit and if it starts to decrease in RPM when you are tightening the low end, then you went too far. Back off on it! As soon as you have that nice smooth sound, back off 1/8th of a turn. Now Throttle up and re-adjust your high end.

What I just explained to you is how to adjust your low and midrange. With a straight coat hanger, and by making a thin screw driver out of it, if you slip your wire will hit the prop and not your hand and you can get a more accurate setting besides all that.

I'm sure it will work for you. Most glow 2- stroke and 4- stroke engines run on the same principle.

Pete