RCU Forums - View Single Post - Buying Used: What to look for?
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 09:04 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Buying Used: What to look for?

I'd never pay $374 for a used truck that sold for $400 new

Ebay you can find used ones for under $200 shipped a lot of times if you look hard enough.

Only reason I bought my savage X used for $200 was it cake with over $100 in upgrades I was going to do myself anyways (Full RPM , and a $60 servo) BUT the engine was shot, body was trashed, and it had no radio. But it was also barely ran 1st owner ran it insanely lean(seriously I couldn't get any fuel into the carb with how he set it), and did WOT runs on the 1st tank(he only ran it 5, and the few light scratches IMO were proof) . So in the end I ended up paying close to $400 which was the cost of a new one(engine was $140), but IMO that was a steal for the cash I would have needed in the upgrades.

Other savage I bought I paid $125 for almost RTR (no radio)

So seeing you are new I would buy a new one, and forget the used one. Now if you had a few more months under your belt, and had spare parts(like engines) laying around I'd say buy used.

Side note like steed2 said my 1st nitro I bought used owner said ran great... Yea it did for 5 mins till it warmed up. Turns out the pinch was shot, and that particular engines parts(it was discontinued) cost more than a new engine. In the end getting that RC up to being reliable cost me MORE than a new one off the shelf would have. I almost quit nitro due to that experience glad I bought a new engine, and gave it another go