RCU Forums - View Single Post - Evolution 60 NX in a 40 size case...
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 03:47 PM
greekmath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Evolution 60 NX in a 40 size case...

HI All this is another follow up in the 2 stroke versus 4 stroke experiment. I have yet to put the (Nova) Rossi .57 in a plane but it runs very well and is extremely strong. My general impression though is that while it is sold by planethobby.com as a '3 D' engine it seems to be timed for smaller props at higher rpms. I have to slap a 14x4 on it to confirm, and also have to get it into a plane, the choice being the aero works 260 profile in the .46 size range.

In the meantime I came across a wonderful series of engines in the recent OS line. I have run both the LA 65 and the AX 65 in 5.5 pound "50" size profiles and have gotten fabulous results. They are quiet incredibly reliable transition flawlessly and have plenty of power for this size of profile plane. They tolerate all kinds of throttle mashing and high G maneuvers and sip fuel although full power is rarely needed. Since the AX 65 tips the scales at $200 if you are on a budget you will like the LA 65. The extra 70 bucks for the AX gets you, ball bearings which can be replaced as opposed to bushings, 1 ounce weight savings (putting the 65 AX close to some heavy .40’s) and an extra 200 rpms (10K) with a 14x4 prop (XOAR).

For those of you who want ‘4 stroke’ behavior for less money I think you’ll be very happy with this engine.
As far as the NX 61 I think it is also better suited to sport 40 ish applications as it likes smaller props and higher rpm’s better. I have found this out since I posted my original comment so please note this is a bit of a change of opinion on where this particular engine fits.
GM