RCU Forums - View Single Post - NOS SJ .65 prop question
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Jim Oliver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NOS SJ .65 prop question

Bob,

I'm posting this here so that others may benefit from it.

I got the "old" SJ .65 and an early ( I think) SJ .90 in this deal; both were said to be unrun and I believe the seller to be a very honest and honorable person. Being a bit cautious (both engines had been in a glass display case for a long time), I removed the backplate from both engines to make sure the wrist pins were free and the bearings looked OK. After removing the backplates I saw that the oil had dried out and gummed up the bearings. On the .65 there appears to be rust on the crankshaft counter weight and on the part of the shaft that is visable through the carb mounting hole.

I am going to send both engines to Dub for his inspection and probable bearing replacement. I don't want to risk having bits of rust going through the piston/liner.

BTW, the idle needle on the .65 carb isn't a screw, it's just a tiny needle valve. Must be an early design........The instructions with the .65 have a 1995 date; the .90 has a 1996 date. The .65 is S/N 09. The .90 doesn't have a S/N that I can see.

I also noticed that the older .65 and .90 have aluminum liners; my somewhat newer SJ .90 has a brass liner............

Thanks for your help.
Jim