RCU Forums - View Single Post - micros.....
Thread: micros.....
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 04:35 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: micros.....

How big do you want to go? I do not have a Champ, but I have heard from friends that they will handle a decent breeze. They have the added benefit of coming with a radio. I had a Cessna Centurion back when, well, back when that was your only option.

Depending on the size of your school yard the mini super cub may be a better answer. It has a couple of advantages, it is bigger and cheaper. And far easier to repair. And that is always an issue. And at $100 you are not deeply invested. It also has disadvantages, the radio is low freq FM, not the 72 mghtz FM standard. So when you move on, if you move on, you are buying another TX. It is also not really a micro. per se.

The more I ponder this, the more undecided I become. The Champ has great creds, it's TX will let you fly helis and lots of planes, it will let you grow in the Horizon Micro family. But the servos have been known to give beginners fits, when the beginner overloads them. Although I have not fragged a servo in a year

The Mini Cub is limited overall, but it has the benefit of being fairly indestructible, and easily fixed. Low cost to decide if it is an avenue that appeals to you. If you think you are going to really move forward with flight, then go with the Champ. If you are unsure, go with the MiniCub, and have a nephew/cousin in mind to give the carcus to.

If you have a large room, 2 car garage perhaps, you might want to look at a Vapor as well. It will fly from the same TX as the Champ.

Good Luck. I hope I have not made the options murkier[X(]

Tim