RCU Forums - View Single Post - Vintage 1/24 scale Tamtech Porsche 962C restoration and upgrades
Old 05-14-2011, 06:14 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vintage 1/24 scale Tamtech Porsche 962C restoration and upgrades

Well, I happened to finish this project earlier than I thought. About three days ago, I finished up the rest of the chassis and assembled the front axles, new custom front springs for the different tires, rear axle carriage, and steering linkage. After that was finished, I moved onto painting the body, or at least picking up where I left off around a year ago.

I assumed I would pick up where I left off painting the body, and when it was done and I pulled all the masking off, all the windows were frosted!!!!!! After a couple of hours and some 1000grit sandpaper, I polished the windows back to normal. I haven't pinstriped with a paintbrush much, but I was happy with what I was working with. There were some problems I ran into painting, but thanks to some tricks of the trade I did a few re-dos here and there. As far as 25 year old water slide decals go, there is no re-do. I highly doubt I would have been able to use the decals at all if I didn't have the same amount of experience in plastic modeling as I do in R/C cars. I used every decal tool and setting solution, conditioner, you name it, and I barely pulled it off. Some of the decals crumbled on their edges and others shattered like glass after they dried and cured, even though they appeared to look fine for 20 minutes. I salvaged as many decals as I could, and again considering the kit's age, I was very surprised with the end results. I didn't expect miracles with them, but with a ton of patience and a butt-load of TLC, everything worked out better than expected.

So, that's a wrap! I want to take it to the carpet track with me this summer when I race my touring cars - I'll rip it around during practice and wow all my new friends! Thanks for reading this thread - I appreciate sharing projects such as these with everyone.

Off to Shelf Queendom she goes! Oh, and it's not for sale if you want it