View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 05:45 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Looking for Corsair tail wheel build

ORIGINAL: nzphil

Hi Luke,
Yes, I was aware you were the originator. I’ve read, many times, all the threads I can find on all the forums on building the YT/ESM/KMP Corsair. I must congratulate you on your thinking “outside the box” & coming up with the double sided PC board which is so simple to solder to.
I can easily scale part A up to the correct scale by importing the drawings into Corel Draw & increase it to the 95mm length. I assume that all the parts on that drawing are to be increased & not just part A? Do the sizes of the Tail wheel assembly / shock absorber remain the same?
As far as the pilot size goes unfortunately, being in New Zealand, I cannot get a GI Joe here to try for size. Mostly we have to mail order from US, Hong Kong or Singapore to source 90% of our scale modelling requirements so we try to get the right size first time as postage, particularly from US, is a tad on the expensive side![sm=cry_smile.gif]
Anyway, thanks very much for sharing your knowledge & experience with me & the rest of the people that follow this forum.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Phil
Thanks, but the idea for the PC board is not mine, it's been in use for many years by others like Dave Platt, Earl Aune and many others. I like using it and have built many tail wheels and other things with it. Compartmentalized thinking is a big stumbling block to innovation and problem solving, most people have a love hate relationship with it.

I purchased a few $5 "GI Joe" type dolls from a store here in the States called 'Dollar General' they are very light weight because they are made so cheap, I like to use those bodies and the uniforms from the heavy expensive ones like the BBI Toys figures. I personally think the 1/6 would be fine, I've even seen the 1/6 used on the 1/8 scale TF and it looked OK. It will always look worse in my opinion to have a pilot that is to small rather than slightly larger. I'm a big guy, so maybe I'm biased! ha!

I'm not sure what plan you are using for the tail wheel but I just used that one part (A) so that you could scale up the sheet with all the parts on it. So you are correct, enlarge everything using part "A" as the reference for size.

Thank you and I'm glad you like my ramblings on here, it's fun and beneficial to all when we share our ideas. I feel the same way about many other modelers on here, some very awesome work and ideas.

Luke