RCU Forums - View Single Post - Mato 3:1 Gearboxes, My Experience
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Glen B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Mato 3:1 Gearboxes, My Experience

I am posting a series of pictures which might help people considering these, if you have a better, neater way of doing this, be gentle

Warning, to potential novice buyers, these are not "drop in", modifications are required.

Also, I do go through a break in session on the motors

The important thing to remember is to get the sprocket shafts level and centered, pictures to follow.

The posts for the original motor mount screws on both Tigers had the holes for the screws stripped, they don't match the 3:1's, anyway so I don't use them.

I cut away anything that doesn't let me fit the shafts as described. I was able to keep the rear locating pins on mine.

I clean the floor of the hull and mark where the gearboxes will go.

I thinly grease the bottoms of the gearboxes, this is to be a release agent so the Milliput doesn't stick to them.

I mix enough Milliput to form new, "poured" motor mounts, insert the gearboxes and push them in until the shafts are located properly, then leave them 24 hours.

I then break them out, check them, then bore two holes for 3 mm socket head cap screws, you can only get 2 in but it is enough. The gearboxes are bolted right through the floor of the hull and I cut them to length, the gearboxes stay put (Yeah, I know real Tigers didn't have bolts and nuts sticking out the hull, they didn't have battery box covers either, the are not normally visible, anyway)

First picture shows one set on Milliput mounts, no too pretty but they work.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29706.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1609107