RCU Forums - View Single Post - Futaba, or just 2.4, problems at Joe Nall?
Old 05-17-2011, 09:23 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Futaba, or just 2.4, problems at Joe Nall?

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

If in fact Futaba had more problems at Nall, is it simply due to more Futaba users now, and thus a higher statistical chance of Futaba being involved, as has been suggested? Or. in a very ''crowded'' 2.4 RF environment, are we seeing the weakness of a setup that uses a receiver with only whisker antennas vs. a one with a remote rx array, especially as the jet reaches what would be the max range in-flight? If there is no difference, were there just as many JR/Spek issues at Nall then, ones that we have not heard about?
Unless you know the numbers of the various brands of radios in use at Joe Nall, you really can't say the reason is due to people now buying Futaba radios more.

I'm more concerned that there are people jumping on the 'radio lockout' bandwagon, without all the info. It's very easy to decide it was a 2.4g problem when in fact it could have been any number of OTHER things going on.

With the proliferation of 2.4g in the hobby, I think people are losing sight of good practices. There's no way to know how many radios were turned on at any one time at Joe Nall. No way to know how many people in the pits have their radios on doing setup, testing, etc. even though they've stated that radios may only be turned on at a flight station. It was reported that several people were flying foamies and park flyers around their motorhome/camping areas as well. With over 1100 registered pilots, you can see the potential for a problem.