RCU Forums - View Single Post - Futaba, or just 2.4, problems at Joe Nall?
Old 05-17-2011, 12:42 PM
allmetal plane
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba, or just 2.4, problems at Joe Nall?

Hi guys!

Would you please allow me to share my experience! I am not intending to bash brand X or Y, I am just sharing my own experience ..I am not the most skillfull pilot but for years I have been designing, building and successfully flying all aluminum airplanes. To build them, I use several alumium thicknesses, steel, chromo molibden which is highly magnetic, I use a lot of AN stainless steel fasteners, n addition to that I use gas engines which generate lots of RF. This kind of contruction create the worst interference enviroment ANY radio systems..
My first experice with aluminum RC airplanes was in back the 80's when we flew at a 9000 ft elevation field a 16 ft, 150 pound Cessna 180 for years . We did not have resitor spark plugs or fancy electronic gadgets at time and yet, we were very successful with that plane. We had a regular EK Logictrol FM system, the receiver, good Nicads and strong servos for that era.
I do my best in keeping the radio installation simple and IMHO, I stay away from aftermarket gagets, regulators and powerboxes (unless it becomes a real need). SO far I had NOT HAVE ANY ISSUE with 2.4 equipment. JR, Futaba and the other good brands, are nowdays, electronic wonders that make life easier.. if kept simple. I have chosen to fly my metal planes with JR DSM2, DSMX Systems which have given me may hours of trouble free flying (being me the poor pilot!)
I believe that regardeess the brand you choose, it is important to keeping radio installation simple and neat with the proper accessories, this will insure good performance.
I also believe that in addition to being exposed to midairs due to crowded skies, the number of radios operatong at the same time, should be limited.
I hope this encourage folks to continue this great hobby!